Lighthouse Daycare’s mission is to provide quality care and education to the children in our care in a Christian environment, including instruction in social, emotional, and physical skills. Our classes are divided by age to give children a safe, age-appropriate atmosphere to explore and learn. Our goal is to prepare our children for school in a fun, supportive environment.
Our center is a ministry of Lighthouse Baptist Church and is governed by a Board of Trustees.
Lighthouse Christian Academy and Daycare Center provides our children with a program of education and care which upholds a standard of excellence. This instruction has as its integrated center the faith and principles as laid down in the Word of God. The result of all instruction must be the development of positive personalities adequately prepared to take their place in the home, and in society. The purpose of Lighthouse Christian Academy and Daycare Center has two aspects:
- To be an extension of the home and the church, and thus to provide a continuity of training for young people for equipping them for service.
- To furnish a quality program in a safe and secure environment while providing a strong character-building atmosphere so the child may develop through varied experiences.
Lighthouse Christian Academy and Daycare Center is licensed to serve up to 140 children ages six weeks to 12 years old. Our Center is licensed by the Department of Human Services and meets all health and safety standards, and maintains liability insurance as required by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Services and the State Licensing Board. The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited basis will apply to all program and/or employment activities.)
Our Philosophy of Education
The philosophy of education at Lighthouse Christian Academy and Daycare Center incorporates the following important aspects:
- All subjects are viewed and taught from a Christ-centered standpoint. “In Christ are hid the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” (Col 2:3)
- The reinforcement of academics is only one part of a child’s education. Spiritual and moral values, proper attitudes, respect for authority and the rights and feelings of others are also important in the task of training children to become mature leaders.
- God has given the child to the parents. The parent, in turn, entrusts this precious child to the Daycare for a very vital part of training. We consider our share in the care and protection of this child to be a sacred trust and will instruct each child as an individual. This program cannot be placed in a position to be a substitute for the parent and their instruction. We are told, “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” (Proverbs 22:6) Each child is a human being endowed with God-given abilities and unique personality. We must recognize that each student will respond differently to that which is presented. However, all of them should be encouraged and exhorted to produce to their fullest capacity.
As teachers and caregivers, we take seriously the trust you place in us to teach and care for your child. Our staff is chosen not only for experience and education, but also for loving and caring attitudes toward children. Each member of our staff is required to receive 18 hours of Continuing Education per year as well as maintain current certification in CPR and First Aid. Each staff member is fingerprinted and a West Virginia Cares background checked through the WVCARES, Protective Service Records and West Virginia State Police Sex Offender Check Registry.
The following staff/child ratios must be maintained at all times when children are present:
6 weeks to 23 months
1 adult to 4 children
2 years (24-35 months)
1 adult to 8 children
3 years (36-47 months)
1 adult to 10 children
4 years (48-59 months)
1 adult to 12 children
5 years (60 months to school age)
1 adult to 12 children
1 adult to 16 children